Licensed Practical Nurse or Medical Assistant, Ambulatory
University of Virginia Health
Licensed Practical Nurse or Medical Assistant – Ambulatory - Riverside Primary Care
Offering a competitive sign-on bonus to the hired candidate. Please discuss with the hiring manager or recruiter for more details.
Job Summary – LPN
Responsible for providing direct patient care, ongoing education, reinforcement of care plans, and general support in an ambulatory setting under the direction or supervision of the patient’s physician or LIP/RN designee in accordance with policy, procedure, and competency to promote patient health and wellness. This position requires providing services to all age populations in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individuals served.
Job Summary – MA
Medical assistants provide clinical support, assist with administrative tasks, and provide general support in an ambulatory setting under the direction or supervision of the patient’s physician or LIP/RN designee in accordance with policy, procedure, and competency to promote patient health and wellness. Duties may include patient care; vital signs; assisting licensed healthcare professionals; and performing various laboratory tests, quality control indicators, and clinical intake. This position requires providing service to all age populations in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individual served.
Licensed Practical Nurse – Ambulatory
- Assists the registered nurse and/or provider through data collection concerning the physical, psychological, social, and cultural dimensions of patients according to practice standards and institutional policy/procedure.
- Organizes and prioritizes nursing care activities considering the needs of the patients and the interdisciplinary team.
- Implements age-appropriate interventions based on individual patient’s needs as directed by the registered nurse/provider.
- Assists in evaluating the effectiveness of care given in progressing patients toward desired outcomes.
- Provides ongoing education and reinforcement of care plans developed by the provider/RN based on identified health and education needs and the condition and age of the patient.
- Provides a safe environment and safe delivery of care.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development of self and contributes to and assists with the professional development of others.
- Demonstrates teamwork in the delivery of patient care.
- In addition to other job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Medical Assistant – Ambulatory
- Assists in ensuring effective and efficient clinic operations while maintaining consistent and accurate communication with team members, referring providers, and patients.
- Assists with data collection for physical, psychological, social, and cultural dimensions of patients according to professional practice standards and institutional policy/procedure.
- Completes standardized rooming and performs clinical intake, data collection, and documentation.
- As directed and in accordance with documented competencies, provides clinical support to licensed healthcare professionals during examinations and procedures. Clinical support services include, but are not limited to, preparing laboratory specimens, performing testing (i.e., point-of-care testing, CLIA-waived testing, ECG/EKG, spirometry, venipuncture/phlebotomy, specimen collection, etc.), appropriate cleaning and sterilization of instruments/equipment and rooms, disposing of contaminated supplies, performing wound care, and administering medications.
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work assignments to support patient needs, the interdisciplinary team, and operational efficiency.
- Implements age-appropriate interventions based on individual patient needs as directed by the healthcare provider (HCP).
- Reinforces patient/family teaching plan based on identified health education needs and the condition and age of the patient through approved educational materials or written instructions.
- Provides a safe environment and safe delivery of care.
- Maintains supplies and equipment.
- Documents and captures charges for clinical support services rendered within the patient visit.
- Performs administrative support responsibilities. As directed and in accordance with documented competencies, provides administrative support to licensed healthcare professionals. Administrative support services include, but are not limited to, drafting letters and/or assisting with completion of forms, facilitating scheduling, pending medication refills, assisting with coverage of in-basket messaging, and assisting with clinic/chart prep.
- Demonstrates teamwork in the delivery of patient care. Recognizes the importance of time-sensitive issues.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development of self and others according to departmental policy.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE:
- Graduated from an accredited licensed practical nurse program.
- Licensed to practice as a practical nurse (LPN) in the Commonwealth of Virginia prior to onboarding.
- BLS: Basic Life Support – American Heart Association (AHA).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or is a military medical specialist with twenty-four months of experience and eligibility for certification or registration.
- Experience is preferred, but not required.
- Current medical assistant certification through a recognized national professional association, such as the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Association of Healthcare Professionals (NAHP), American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA) or National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Credentials must be obtained within 6 months from the date of hire.
- American Heart Association (AHA) Healthcare Provider BLS certification is required with hire.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently traveling, and bending/stooping. Proficient communicative, auditory, and visual skills. Attention to detail and ability to write legibly. Ability to lift/push/pull 20–50 lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids, and infectious diseases.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System, which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physicians Group, and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspective and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.