Transit Bus Driver #R0020057
R0020057 Transit Bus Driver
University Transit Service (UTS) at the University of Virginia's Department of Parking and Transportation is seeking reliable Transit Bus Drivers. Our drivers work within the University Transit Service to provide transportation services to the University of Virginia Community. Strong customer service skills are necessary. Duties include the operation of a transit bus unit on a fixed route as well as transit operation in support of University-wide events. Selected candidates will be required to be able to drive any/all buses and support vehicles in the fleet. Note: Service hours in Transit Operations spans from 4:30 am to 10:30 pm, Monday through Saturday. The ability to work overtime and shifts over eight (8) hours is required for this position.
• Education: High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience: At least 8 months of prior work experience. Experience gained during part-time work as a student may be considered.
• A valid Driver's license, with a positive points balance is required. The ability to pass the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) exam within 45 days of hire will be a condition of this position. A Virginia Commercial Driver's License Type A or B with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements is highly preferred.
• The ability to follow and enforce specific instructions is required, and the ability to communicate effectively with the public is essential. Applicants must be able to read, write, and speak in the English language.
• General knowledge of computer usage; ability to type, use email, and interface with web-based systems for payroll and performance management is essential
• Safe operation of a transit bus requires sustained sitting, driving, pushing/pulling (steering wheel and various controls), repetitive motion, use of both hands, use of either hand, fine finger manipulation, and wrist movement. Safe operation also includes repetitive motion with both ankles/feet, with both possessing the strength and dexterity to fully depress the service brake and accelerator (right) and turn signal controls (left) present on the transit bus units within the Parking and Transportation fleet.
• Boarding/alighting the transit bus requires the ability to climb stairs (at least one step up/down). Successful operation of ADA Accessible equipment aboard the transit bus requires bending, lifting, and carrying. All of these physical requirements should be considered essential to the position.
• Work performed during special events and as part of servicing the equipment requires standing, walking, and the potential for bending, lifting, and carrying.
• The ability to drive any/all buses or support vehicles.
• The ability to work overtime and shifts over eight (8) hours, to meet service hours in Transit Operations. Position Compensation: $15.00 Hourly. For this position, the selected candidate will need to complete all required background checks, including a drug screen, prior to the start date of employment.