School CounselorThe Piedmont Regional Education Program (PREP)
2019-2020 School Year
Category: Teacher / Professional
Employment Type: Full-time (205 day contract)
Building: Ivy Creek School
Location: 227 Lambs Lane Charlottesville, VA
The Piedmont Regional Education Program (PREP) seeks to hire a school counselor for Ivy Creek School that will support the social, emotional and academic development of students through counseling services, college and career planning and leadership of school-wide implementation of positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS).
Salary Range: $48,970 - $76,164
Salary is commensurate with years of related experience; advanced degree supplements (beyond that required for the position) are available as determined by the PREP Joint Board of Control.
To provide direct professional, educational, career and general developmental counseling services to students in grades K-12 in a public special education program for students with emotional disabilities.
Must have a thorough knowledge of the curriculum, instruction, and counseling/guidance theory and practice. Counseling skills must include problem identification/analysis skills and basic therapy resolution. Communication skills, both oral and written, must be highly developed to meet the diverse needs of students, professional staff, and other community agencies. Must be able to organize and carry out student activity programs.
• Counsels students related to various topic (e.g. personal challenges, careers, peer relationships, and attendance)
• Conducts small and large group guidance sessions
• Maintains and updates student cumulative folders
• Communicates with parents and/or agency representatives (as appropriate) concerning student challenges, internships, volunteer opportunities, student support plans, post-secondary transition, etc.
• Collaborates with staff in the design and implementation of behavior modification programs for students
• Coordinates teacher and parent conferences as needed
• Interprets test data and student records for parents and teachers
• Provides leadership for job coaches / instructional assistants supporting vocation opportunities
• Monitors students' graduation status and communicates updates to administration, students and parents
• Collaborates with the administration for the planning and implementation of school-wide assessments (e.g. state assessments, national assessments)
• Coordinates all transition activities
• Performs other duties as required
Performance will be evaluated on the ability and effectiveness in carrying out the above responsibilities via the Teacher Performance Evaluation System.
1. Two years' experience as a school counselor in a public middle or high school;
2. Possess or be eligible for a Virginia license with an endorsement in School Counseling PK-12
1. Five years successful experience in a public high school setting
2. Significant knowledge and experience in special education
Reports To: Principal
This position will remain open until filled