Systems and BI Analyst #F1644
Systems and BI Analyst
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia's beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.
The Office of Advancement Business Applications, Reporting and Analysis at James Madison University is accepting applications for a Systems and BI Analyst (SBA). The SBA develops, maintains and improves systems and procedures related to the production, processing and delivery of analytic reports and studies related to engagement, fundraising, analytical projects for internal and external constituents, not limited to the areas of: Office of Strategic Gifts, Office of Principle Relationship Development, Office of Constituent Engagement, the JMU Foundation, the Division of Admin and Finance, the Council for Advancement and the office of VP for University Advancement and others. The SBA will also assist in the design, development, and maintenance of dashboards for commonly requested and widely used Advancement data via the use of multiple visualization tools. The person in this position will keep abreast of ongoing developments and trends in higher education, advancement and analytics landscapes. This position will help support the University's Enterprise-wide CRM Implementation efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage deadlines, collaboration, and planning necessary to complete both Ad Hoc and Project Based analysis using data exploration toolsets including SQL, Oracle Data Warehouse and BI platforms (Cognos and Tableu) and utilize external data sets (Athletics, Events, Ticketing) for comparative and compliance reporting (CAE, Annual Fundraising, Engagement).
- Assist with data creation, validation, documentation, and data quality reviews of new and existing Business Intelligence Dashboards and reports referencing a diverse datasets including, but not limited to, student scholarship beneficiaries, student data (course of study, relationships and affiliations) and human resources data.
- Create and promote data analyses and reports to support data-driven decision-making in Advancement philanthropic, engagement, and stewardship activities at the institution.
- Conduct ad hoc analytic projects, benchmarking studies, and reporting requirements as needed for internal and external departmental needs.
- Maintain, optimize and develop database objects (Functions, Transformation Tables, Procedures) related to the data warehouse.
- Analyze and document ad hoc data requests to recommend reporting solutions, develop appropriate data tables, and assist in the creation of dashboards to support effective data distribution and decision making within UA and associated campus partners (JMU Foundation, Colleges and related departments).
- Engage with departments to understand their data needs and facilitate expanded use of reporting toolsets to support departmental planning/reporting through outreach and response to user requests.
- Work collaboratively with internal team, technical staff, and senior administration to continuously develop and improve reporting resources and processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline with at least three years of experience.
- Relevant experience in data analytics & reporting and toolsets to assist data-driven decision making.
- Experience collecting requirements from stakeholders related to their analysis needs.
- Relevant experience in database management and/or data warehouses
- Experience using and ability to program in SQL, Python, and/or R for decision support and reporting services.
- Demonstrated experience in creating advanced report designs including but not limited to dashboards.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, complex, technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in providing analytical solutions that incorporate the complex interactions of business processes, business systems, databases and related data warehouse objects.
- Relevant experience working in a higher education setting with knowledge of student-related data and reporting processes.
- Experience building data analytic reports and visualizations using BI tools such as Cognos and Tableau.
- Understanding of data modeling, data warehousing, and decision support.
- Experience supporting Fundraising, Engagement and Donor Stewardship efforts in higher education.
- Experience working with datasets from various higher education systems and databases, including but not limited to, Student Management, Human Resources and Scholarships.
- Ability to work with data and people from multiple sources/departments.
- Ability to embrace and demonstrate Advancement Information Services (AIS) values of collaboration, quality, innovation and integrity.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, flexibility, good judgement, teamwork, attention to detail, problem-solving, life-long learning, sense of humor and initiative.
- Relevant experience with software as a service, customer relationship management systems and infrastructure as a service.
- Experience with managing and/or implementing cloud-based technologies.
Pay Rate: Commensurate with Experience
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.