Linux Systems Engineer #S2324
Lead Linux Systems Engineer
The Information Technology Department at James Madison University (JMU) is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the JMU team as a Lead Linux System Engineer. This person Leads the Linux System Engineers in both project and operational tasks to ensure that systems are available to support the needs of the University Community. Provides leadership to the Linux team and ensures proper staffing is available to support system installation, upgrade and maintenance activities.
The System Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Leads a team of engineers to install, update, and patch Linux OS, applications, and hardware.
• Directs staff to ensure project and operational tasks are completed in a timely and appropriate manner. Ensures staffing is available as required to meet objectives and to provide on-call coverage.
• Acts as a Systems Engineer to install and maintain Linux systems including operating systems, applications and hardware.
• Monitors system performance and availability and responds to avoid or correct problems.
• Works with software and hardware vendors to identify and resolve problems.
• Knowledge of Linux operating systems and application
• Knowledge of computer hardware devices including but not limited to servers, storage
• Knowledge of data center processes and monitoring
• Ability to lead and motivate employees, schedule tasks, and define priorities in order to accomplish departmental objectives
• Appropriate skills and abilities to install and support Linux Operating Systems and software in a client/server networked environment.
• Knowledge of leadership principles and best practices
• Knowledge of Linux security best practices
• Skills in areas such as server clustering and virtualization are also beneficial to this position.
Pay Range: $$73,364 - $81,500.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.