Linux System Administrator #S1729James Madison University
Linux System Administrator
The Information Technology Department at James Madison University (JMU) is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the JMU team as a Linux System Administrator. The primary responsibilities for this position will be the administration of Linux servers. Additional responsibilities include installing and configuring server hardware and operating systems, monitoring system performance and providing support to JMU IT Computing customers.
The System Administrator will be responsible for the following:
• Installation and administration of Linux server hardware and software in a physical and virtual environment.
• Troubleshooting issues in a highly complex Linux environment.
• Installation and administration of Zenoss monitoring system and RedHat Satellite system.
• Monitoring server and system performance and making adjustments to correct issues.
• Configuration and monitoring of Linux server back-ups using enterprise back-up software.
• Maintaining security by installing updates to the Linux operating system and installed software.
• Working with hardware and software support engineers to diagnose and correct problems.
• Responding to trouble tickets and work requests and participation in on-call rotation.
• Preparing documentation, memos and various reports for use within Information Technology.
The successful candidate should have the knowledge and skills required for installing and supporting Linux server operating systems; experience using enterprise backup software in a Linux environment; knowledge, skills and abilities required for preparing and presenting formal and informal written and oral presentations of a technical nature, as well as using and understanding written, oral and visual technical material; and excellent customer service skills. Experience installing and administering Linux based monitoring and patching systems (i.e. Zenoss, Red Hat Satellite) and a background in programming/scripting languages would be beneficial. Experience working with networked storage systems (i.e. SAN, NFS, NAS) also desirable.
Pay Range: $61,650 - $65,000.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.