Lecturer - Hospitality Management #F1690

James Madison University   Harrisonburg, VA   Full-time     Hospitality
Posted on September 29, 2021
Apply Now

Lecturer - Hospitality Management, Hart School

The Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management at James Madison University invites applications for a Lecturer in Hospitality Management. The position is a renewable term appointment beginning in Fall 2022. Candidates must be able to be on campus for a start date of mid-August 2022. The position is a full-time position in Harrisonburg, Virginia, and is benefits eligible.

The Hart School's physical space is world-class. This includes three classrooms in the Hotel Madison Conference Center (a 235 room conference hotel with 21,000 feet of ballroom https://www.hotelmadison.com/) opened in May 2018 and a new state of the art demonstration kitchen and a new basic culinary lab.

Located in the heart of Virginia's beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is the one of the most diverse communities in the State of Virginia. JMU is a highly selective, diverse, regional, comprehensive, student-oriented institution with a growing national reputation. The student body includes approximately 21,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students, and over 900 full-time instructional faculty. JMU offers strong liberal arts and professional programs in a variety of disciplines. The university is committed to innovation, superlative teaching and scholarship. JMU has achieved national recognition for the quality of its academic programs and has been repeatedly identified as a best-buy for students.

Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities involve teaching courses in the Hospitality Management Program, such as leadership, ethics, and management. Experience in sales, marketing, public relations/communications, tourism, sustainability is desired but not required. This position has a four/four instructional load during the regular academic year with a 80% focus on teaching. The remaining 20% of the position focuses on service and scholarship. Additional teaching opportunities and specific assignments are dependent upon departmental needs.

Qualifications:
Required qualifications include a master's degree in hospitality or a related field and either: multi-year experience teaching hospitality management at the collegiate level or professional management work experience in hospitality operations or related field with evidence of training/mentoring others. The candidates must demonstrate experience in outreach to the business community and provide examples of student engagement within the academic and local community. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in Hospitality Management.

We promote access, inclusion, and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents, and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The University is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.

Salary will be commensurate with experience. Application review begins November 1, 2021. For more information, contact Dr. Tony Kim at kim26jh@jmu.edu.

James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.