Communications & PR Manager
Blue Ridge Area Food Bank
Communications & PR Manager
Are you a compelling storyteller and experienced manager of communications campaigns? Use your strong verbal and written communications skills to make a difference by sharing the story of the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank.
The Communications & PR Manager (CPRM) is responsible for a broad range of activities including leading partner communications, advocacy communications, and media relations efforts to build awareness about the organization's important mission, service, needs and successes, and to position the organization as the leading hunger-relief agency in the Blue Ridge area. This position is an integral part of a collaborative Development team and reports to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
The Marketing & Communications program is charged with helping to educate, inspire, engage, recruit, and retain supporters of and advocates for our mission. We leverage a variety of strategies and tactics to reach the broadest audience possible, while working in close collaboration with colleagues who are personalizing relationships with donors and volunteers.
The key responsibilities of the CPRM include:
• Manage production of the semi-annual Harvest newsletter, our flagship print publication.
• Collaborate with internal leaders to identify strategic communications priorities for partner and advocate audiences, develop and execute annual communication plans, and evaluate effectiveness. Tactics to include newsletters, social media posts, toolkits, and website content.
• Direct, execute, and evaluate a strategic media relations plan, leveraging the resources of a public relations agency.
• Serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
• Generate editorial, photo, and video content for all channels.
• As a member of the Speakers Bureau, make presentations to a variety of audiences.
Required job qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent amount of relevant training and/or experience required in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related field
• Minimum 3-4 years of experience in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or media relations is required, preferably in a non-profit setting
• Experience developing and executing communication and marketing strategies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to build and manage relationships with the media, key partners, and supporters
• Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to respond quickly to impromptu requests for information and help
• Extensive computer experience, particularly in Microsoft Office Suite, web publishing software (WordPress preferred), design software (particularly Adobe and Canva). Experience using Salesforce CRM is a plus.
• Knowledge of basic video production
• Interest in and ability to stay abreast of knowledge and skills in marketing and communications
The CPRM role is full-time and will be based in the Charlottesville or Verona location of the Food Bank. Duties may require work on an occasional evening or weekend. Must have a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
About the Food Bank
The Blue Ridge Area Food Bank is a respected, regional nonprofit providing nourishing food and hope to neighbors. Founded in 1981, the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank serves 25 counties and eight cities in central and western Virginia, from Loudoun and Winchester in the north to the Lexington and Lynchburg areas in the south. We provide food to nearly 119,000 visitors each month through a partner network of more than 200 food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters, as well as through nutrition programs for children, seniors, and rural neighbors. Total revenues of approximately $50 million and an operating budget of $11 million support the work of more than 60 employees in four locations, including our headquarters and main distribution center in Verona.
The Food Bank is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspective and lived experiences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.