ABOUT BLUE RIDGE ABORTION FUND
The Blue Ridge Abortion Fund supports autonomy in reproductive decision making by providing financial, logistical, and emotional support to people from, or traveling to, Virginia seeking abortion services. By giving grants to people to fill the gap between what financial resources they have and the full cost of their abortion, we uphold abortion as a community good. Funding abortion is an act of radical care that affirms our belief that all community members should have the agency and the resources to make their own decisions about their bodies.
Blue Ridge Abortion Fund is headquartered in Central Virginia, and since 1989 has served over 5,000 individuals who have needed financial support to pay for abortion care. Our organization is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and part of a growing network of over 80 independent abortion funds supporting the autonomous decision making of callers. We envision a world where everyone receives supportive and compassionate abortion care in their community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Intake Coordinator(s) serves as frontline support to callers seeking financial support for their abortions and is responsible for providing supportive, compassionate assistance to people seeking an abortion. As a key member of the Blue Ridge Abortion Fund team, the Intake Coordinator(s) is responsible for conducting calls, collecting and organizing caller documentation, drafting correspondence, and maintaining contact with clients. Additionally, the Intake Coordinator will lead building and deepening relationships with other abortion funds, clinics, and allied organizations, and assist with administrative tasks related to direct caller engagement and funding. The ideal candidate will be deeply committed to the abortion funding and reproductive rights movement and be a flexible self-starter who is willing to tackle new projects and take on additional work, as necessitated by the evolving needs of our callers and team.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct Caller Engagement
- Ensure excellence in the helpline program by providing non-judgmental, compassionate, whole person support to people seeking abortion care in the region.
- Answer and document requests for support received via our helpline and any other future methods.
- Conduct intake with callers, via phone or electronic methods, provide support, and determine funding and/or other types of support needed to access care, which may include coordinating travel, childcare, or making referrals to other practical and community support networks.
- Ensure appropriate documentation of information into caller management system and ensure compliance with Blue Ridge Abortion Fund policies and practices including data protection and confidentiality.
- Monitor, and adhere to program budget. Track expenditures/transactions and support related financial administration.
- Liaise with and deepen relationships with other abortion funds, clinics, and reproductive justice, health, and other community supportive organizations in the region.
- Contribute to the development of new resources and improvements to existing resources to support callers confidently, effectively, and efficiently.
- Collect and analyze program data to evaluate and identify areas for improvement.
- Participate in convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and participate in required virtual staff communications.
- Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities offered by Blue Ridge Abortion Fund, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations as relevant to your role.
- Other responsibilities as necessary to support a growing Fund.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Share Blue Ridge Abortion Fund’s commitment to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all; and have a desire to grow their experience as a champion within the movement.
- Commitment to an intersectional framework that includes but is not limited to gender, economic, LGBTQ, and racial justice.
- Supportive and empathetic relational skillset with ability to provide compassionate support to a variety of caller populations (teenagers, young adults, immigrants, etc.) experiencing a wide range of emotions regarding their abortion.
- Adaptable and flexible approach to working within the complex and ever-changing abortion access landscape.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work independently and collaboratively on a small team.
- Co-create and maintain a growing remote organizational culture that fosters deep collaboration, trust, and coordination across functional areas; open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
- High level of comfort and skills working in a variety of online platforms, including phone, email, databases, and others.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- 2+ years of relevant professional, educational, and/or life experience.
- Strong systems of organization and follow-through along with attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute multiple and sometimes time-sensitive tasks.
- Familiarity and comfort with sexual and reproductive health issues, particularly abortion.
The salary for the Intake Coordinator is $60,000. We are in the process of developing a comprehensive benefits package to be implemented as of August 2021; in the meantime, BRAF is providing a monthly stipend to cover employee’s healthcare, dental and vision benefits. Additionally, the Intake Coordinator receives three weeks of paid leave, paid federal holidays, and generous sick leave and professional development support.
For more about the Blue Ridge Abortion Fund, please visit: https://blueridgeabortionfund.org
Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume via NPAG’s website.
The Blue Ridge Abortion Fund is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.